Latest news

At least 97 dead in Indonesia earthquake: military

December 8, 2016 at 6:06 am

MEUREUDU: The death toll from a powerful earthquake that struck western Indonesia Wednesday has nearly doubled to 97, the military said, as more bodies were pulled from the rubble of scores of shattered buildings.

The shallow 6.5-magnitude quake struck Pidie Jaya district in Aceh province at dawn as many in the mainly Muslim region on Sumatra island were preparing for morning prayers.

The death toll has steadily climbed as rescue crews search, often by hand, through the homes, mosques and shops reduced to ruins.

The earlier figure of 52 dead was revised up significantly by the Indonesian military, which has taken over responsibility for the search and rescue operation.

“So far 97 people have been killed and the number keeps growing,” Aceh military chief Tatang Sulaiman told AFP.

“When we retrieve bodies sometimes there´s five, sometimes 10 corpses.”

More than 1,000 soldiers and about 900 police have been deployed to the worst-hit areas to set up shelters and evacuation points, he added.

Hundreds of houses and shops had been levelled by the quake, leaving countless people homeless and in need of basic supplies like food and water, officials said.

“The electricity is still off. Some places have generators, but there are not many,” local disaster agency head Puteh Manaf told AFP.

“If it rains there will be disease.”

´Everything was destroyed´

The sole hospital in Pidie Jaya was quickly overwhelmed, with patients treated on the grass out front or sent to neighbouring districts with better facilities.

The district health office chief Said Abdullah said nearly 200 injured had arrived since the quake, but many would not enter the hospital for fear of aftershocks.

“We are treating people outside. We took the beds out because nobody is daring enter the hospital,” he told AFP.

Another regional hospital had suffered serious damage in the quake, along with schools and other key infrastructure, a national disaster agency spokesman said.

In the hard-hit town of Meureudu, terrified residents rushed outside as their homes buckled and crumbled.

“Everything was destroyed,” said Hasbi Jaya, who pulled his two children unconscious from the rubble of their home.

“It was pitch black because the electricity was out. I looked around and all my neighbours´ homes were completely flattened.”

An AFP correspondent said dazed residents were wandering debris-strewn streets, unable to return to their damaged homes in fear of aftershocks.

Some fled to higher ground for fear of a tsunami although no alert was issued.

A huge undersea earthquake in 2004 triggered a tsunami that engulfed parts of Aceh and other countries around the Indian Ocean, killing more than 170,000 people in Indonesia alone.

Indonesian seismologists said the latest earthquake was felt across much of Aceh province, with many aftershocks following the initial tremor.

The US Geological Survey upgraded the magnitude to 6.5 from an initial reading of 6.4 and issued a yellow alert for expected fatalities and damage.

Indonesia experiences frequent seismic and volcanic activity due to its position on the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, where tectonic plates collide.

Aceh lies on the northern tip of Sumatra island, which is particularly prone to quakes.

In June a 6.5-magnitude quake struck off the west of Sumatra, damaging scores of buildings and injuring eight people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

Decision being announced in an
ISLAMABAD: Ex-prime minister Nawaz Sharif on Thursday said that decisions against him are being announced in anger, revenge and are person specific. Talking to media outside the accountability cour...
February 22, 2018 Read More
Cm alleges federal govt of ste
KARACHI: Sindh Chief Miniser Syed Murad Ali Shah Thursday gave guidelines to his team to control non-development expenditures and asked to increase an allocation in social sector. He recommended th...
February 22, 2018 Read More
Khan attempts to reignite cont
The day after his arch-rival, the erstwhile chief of the PML-N Nawaz Sharif, was ousted from his party's presidency, Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan asked why an enquiry report on a co...
February 22, 2018 Read More
PML-N’s Senate nominees
ISLAMABAD: All Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) candidates, who had filed nomination papers for March 3 Senate polls singed by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, would be considered as independen...
February 22, 2018 Read More
Pak condemns India over ceasef
ISLAMABAD: One person was martyred in unprovoked firing by the Indian troops across Line of Control in Rawalakot/Satwal Sector on Thursday. According to a statement issued by the Foreign Office, th...
February 22, 2018 Read More
Army kills two indian soldiers
Islamabad - Pakistan Army has killed two Indian soldiers, moments after a boy was martyred along the Line of Control (LoC). “Pakistan Army troops neutralised Indian post which targeted a minor al...
February 19, 2018 Read More
Sindh cabinet takes important
KARACHI: Sindh Cabinet after thoroughly discussions have taken some important decisions which include of Sindh Accountability Agency, repeal of removal from Service Ordinance, enhancement of different...
February 19, 2018 Read More
SC issues show-cause notice to
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court issued on Monday a show-cause notice to Federal Privatisation Minister Daniyal Aziz in the contempt of court case against him. A three-member bench headed by Justice Sh...
February 19, 2018 Read More